Hearty Berry Streusel Muffins

  • These will be perfect for breakfast this week!  I found the original recipe in a wonderful book I read while staying at a lovely B&B in Carson, WA for my 40th birthday.  My husband surprised me with the trip and made it possible for me to relax and read as much as I could the entire weekend! The book caught my attention because of the character names, Ramona and Sophie, and the fact that there were recipes sprinkled throughout the book. I highly recommend checking out the author, Barbara O'Neal, and the book, How to Bake a Perfect Life (or any of the other books she has written. I have now read 4 of them and am avidly hunting down any and all I can find.



    Hearty Berry Streusel Muffins (makes 30-32) 

    1 C white flour
    1/2 c spelt flour (or 1/2 c white flour)
    1 c whole wheat flour
    1 c oats
    1 Tbsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp sea salt
    1 C honey (or raw sugar)
    1 1/2 c plain yogurt
    1- 6 oz container raspberry or blueberry yogurt
    1/2 c milk
    3 Tbsp canola oil
    2 tsp vanilla
    1 lg egg
    1 c each of fresh (or thawed) blueberries and raspberries

    Streusel: 
    1/4 c flour
    3 Tbsp brown sugar
    1/4 c chopped lightly toasted nuts (walnuts, pecans or almonds)
    1 1/2 Tbs butter (melted)

    Prepare muffin tins with paper or oil. Prepare streusel and set aside. Muffins - Mix dry ingredients in bowl, set aside. Mix wet, except berries, and beat together well. Pour wet into dry and beat firmly and quickly until thoroughly moistened. Add berries and fold in gently. Divide batter into muffin tins, sprinkle streusel on top and bake at 400 for 15 min. Cool for 15 min in the pan to set berries. Remove and col on a wire rack. Enjoy!


    Some substitutions I made are just using 3 - 5.3 oz containers of Dannon Light and Fit greek yogurt (2 blueberry, 1 strawberry) for all yogurt in the recipe and I used the 3 berry blend found in the frozen foods at Costco. Didn't have brown sugar either so I mixed in molasses into plain white sugar. It all worked out perfectly!

Comments

Popular Posts