Carmelized Onions in the Crock Pot

In August my mom brought me a lovely bag of Walla Walla sweet onions and I loved using them in every meal I could.  But, alas, it was time to either cook them up or lose them.  I found this recipe on Pinterest and it’s my new favorite way to make carmelized onions.
  I first found the recipe in a recipe book from the library but had to return it before I could try it out.
Recipe and photos courtesy of The Slow Roasted Italian

Caramelized Onions in the Crockpot
8 large onions
4 tablespoons butter, unsalted
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
pinch salt
1/2 tablespoon sugar (optional - will make onions very sweet)










Slice onions 1/4-1/2" thick.
Add as many onions to crock pot as you can fit.  I could only fit about 3/4 of my onions originally, but added the rest as the onions reduced.  Stir to combine.  Keep crock pot uncovered as onions cook and reduce. Stir onions often scraping the sides. 









After several hours onions are reduced, but still not caramelized.


 








Total cook time is approximately 6-8 hours.  Remove onions once they are caramelized to your preferred taste, remove from crock pot.  If they start burning and become incredibly aromatic, be sure to check them.  Enjoy, they are so incredibly delicious. 


After making these I used them in any recipe that required me to sauté onions and it was so much quicker to get a dish going.  I also used them in Crock Pot Pot Roast that called for French Onion Soup, just added some beef stock.  They are so good!












Add salt, butter and olive oil to crock pot.


Comments

Popular Posts