French Lentil Soup

While searching Pinterest today I stumbled upon a recipe that sounded good and I knew I had all the ingredients on hand.
  I’ve had a cold that is mostly a sore throat, coughing and achiness so soup sounded like just what I needed.
Let me preface by saying I have never cooked a very good tasting lentil soup before but with this one I was quite happy. 
I used a very small brown lentil because the reddish colored lentil looked very thin, like it would turn to mush (which is what usually happens when I cook lentils).
 French Lentil Soup
3 tbls olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 cup chopped celery (I used 1/2 cup)
1 cup chopped carrots
3 garlic cloves, minced
4-5 cups chicken stock (homemade makes a world of difference!) or vegetable stock
11/4 cups dried lentils, rinsed and drained
14 oz can diced tomatoes plus juice
3 tbls balsamic vinegar
salt & pepper to taste
(I also added a bit of thyme and rosemary, about 1/2 tsp thyme and 1/4 tsp rosemary)

1. In a large pot, saute onions, garlic, carrots and celery in olive oil for about 10-15 minutes.
2. Add lentils, chicken stock and diced tomatoes.  Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 35 minutes.
3. When lentils are tender, add balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.  Enjoy!

Photo and Recipe courtesy of New Nostalgia

Lentils are a super food.  They are inexpensive and high in protein, iron, calcium, and fiber.
The fiber in lentils helps lower cholesterol levels.  They are also beneficial in managing blood sugar because it is a low glycemic food.  The great mix of fiber and protein will fill you up and keep you full, even an hour later.

Comments

Popular Posts